Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Why Go Back to School? There are Plenty of Reasons!

clip from video in question, image of a student being intereviewed.
Students from Rio Salado's Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) Alpha Theta Omicron Chapter decided to produce a video as part of their 2015 student project, which focuses on why working adults are returning to school and the obstacles they have overcome-- in an effort to inspire other adults to go back to school.

This video is the culmination of their efforts and we hope it inspires you to embark on your educational journey. 



photo of Ms. Williams

Students also contributed written testimonials about their experience.

This personal narrative by Rio Salado PTK Chapter President Vanessa Williams beautifully encapsulates the struggles and triumphs she has encountered on her educational journey.

Milton Berle, once stated that “If opportunity doesn’t knock, build a door.” 

A few years ago, I felt that there were no opportunities for me to advance. After spending years on the street homeless and addicted, I made the first step by getting clean and sober. I found a job and was living in my own place. Life was great, but something was missing. 

I loved my job, however, I knew I wanted to build a better financial future for myself. I looked around and saw that other people were attending college and working. I did some research and found that Rio Salado would be the perfect fit for my schedule.

It wasn’t easy going back to college. I was in default on my student loans and I didn’t know how I would afford to pay back the loans with my part-time job. I spoke with the Department of Education’s ombudsmen and found out that I could make payments that would be based on my income. I was ecstatic. I began the process of applying to Rio as soon as I was out of default.

There were some challenges along the way, but with the help of a great support system, I have been able to keep up in school. I even joined some student activities such as Phi Theta Kappa and the National Society of Leadership and Success. I have been able to travel and meet new people. I have had the pleasure of working with the wonderful staff at Rio Salado during some of our student activities.

Going back to school has opened the door for me. When opportunity didn’t knock – I built the door. I am thankful every day that Rio Salado College opened that door to a better life for me.

Are you ready to go back to school?  Visit this web page for an introduction on how Rio Salado can serve you.  

To learn more about PTK and other student life initiatives, visit this Rio Salado Student Life web page.

No comments:

Post a Comment